Rules and Chart of Active to Passive Voice
- Generally, 8 tenses are changed into passive voice.
- Present perfect continuous, past perfect continuous, future continuous and future perfect continuous are not changed into passive voice.
- The subject is put in place of the object and the object is placed in the place of the subject.
- Generally by’ is used before the new object.
- Always 3rd form of the verb is used.
- Helping verbs are changed according to the following chart.
- Chart of helping verbs used in active voice and passive voice.
|Present Indefinite||Do, does or (s, es)||Is, are, am|
|Present Continuous||Is, are, am||Is being, am being, are being|
|Present Perfect||Has, have||Has been, have been|
|Past Indefinite||Did or 2nd form||Was, were|
|Past Continuous||Was, were||Was being, were being|
|Past Perfect||Had||Had been|
|Future Indefinite||Will, shall||Shall be, will be|
|Future Perfect||Will have, shall have||Will have been, shall have been|
Active to Passive in Model Auxiliaries:
While changing active to passive voice, ‘be’ is used along with them such as:
Can- can be, could-could be, may-may be, should-should be, would-would be, might-might be, must-must be, has to-has to be, have to- have to be, had to had to be, is to-is to be, are to-are to be, am to am to be, was to- was to be, were to-were to be…
Active: Can you solve these questions?
Passive: Can this question be solved by you?
Active: You must invite your friends?
Passive: Your friends must be invited by you?
Active; I have to cook my food daily.
Passive: My food has to be cooked by me daily.
Active to Passive in Imperative Sentences:
You are requested to
You are advised to
You are ordered to
You are asked to
You are suggested to
You are commanded to
Active: Open the door.
Passive: You are asked to open the door.
Active: Please help me.
Passive: You are requested to help me.
Use of Let…be
Active: Do it.
Passive: Let it be done by you.
Active: Complete your work.
Passive: Let your work be completed by you.