Letter Writing Types Format Examples and Exercises are the important topics on this page. Click the link to learn how to write a good letter and application.
Go through the following material with careful learning and maintain this all (format, valuable points, Examples, and Exercise) in the notebook.
FORMAL LETTER FORMAT
- Address of sender
- Name of addressee or Recipient
- Sender’s Name
(Valuable Points )FORMAL LETTER WRITING FORMAT
The format of a Formal Letter includes:
The following points need to be taken into consideration while writing a Formal letter-
- A Formal Letter strictly follows the prescribed Format for writing a Formal Letter.
b. Use of colloquial words, abbreviations, and slang language should be restricted while writing a formal letter.
c. A Formal Letter must be precise and to the point.
d. The Subject line is very important in a Formal Letter.
The Format of a Formal Letter is as follows –
1. Sender’s address: The address and contact details of the sender are written here. Include an email and phone number, if required or if mentioned in the question.
2. Date: The date is written below the sender’s address after Leaving one space or line.
3. Receiver’s address: The address of the recipient of the mail (the officer/principal / Editor) is written here.
4. The subject of the letter: The main purpose of the letterforms the subject. It must be written in one line. It must convey the matter for which the letter is written.
5. Salutation (Sir / Respected Sir / Madam)
6. Body: The matter of the letter is written here. It is divided into 3 paragraphs as follows –
Paragraph 1: Introduce yourself and the purpose of writing the letter in brief.
Paragraph 2: Give detail of the matter.
Paragraph 3: Conclude by mentioning what you expect. (For example, a solution to your problem, highlighting an issue in the newspaper, etc).
7. Complimentary Closing
8. Sender’s name, signature and designation (if any)
1. Bal Vidya Public School, Bhilai, urgently requires a post-graduate teacher to teach political science for which they have placed an advertisement in The Bhilai Express. You are Sanjay/Sanjana Sharma from 21, Vasant Marg, Bhilai. Draft a letter including a CV, applying for the advertised post.(120 – 150 words)
(SOURCE- CBSE 2018)
21, Vasant Marg
01 March, 20XX
Bal Vidya Public School
Subject- Application for the post of a post-graduate teacher
In response to your advertisement in The Bhilai Express, dated February 25, 20XX for the post of a
political science teacher in your renowned school, I wish to offer my candidature.
I am enclosing a copy of my bio-data for your perusal and kind consideration.
I am available for the interview on any day of your convenience. If given a chance to serve you, I
assure you that I shall work with utmost sincerity and dedication up to your satisfaction.
NAME- Sanjay/Sanjana Sharma
FATHER’s NAME- Mithun Sharma
DATE OF BIRTH- 25 July, 1984
ADDRESS- 21, Vasant Marg, Bhilai
MARITAL STATUS- single
AGE- 28 years
i. B.A. in Political Science
ii. M.A. Political Science
iii. B. Ed
HOBBIES- Trekking and reading
STRENGTHS- Good communication skills, computer literate, proficient in English, Hindi and German
NAMES AND ADDRESSES OF REFERENCES-
i) Mr. Vijay Mathur, Principal
D.A.V. School, Gurudwara Rd., Delhi
ii) Mr. Satish Ohri
0Head of Commerce Department
Punjab University, Chandigarh
Sample Letter to the Editor
Q2. You are Radha G, a member of NGO AWAAZ. Write a letter to the editor of a national daily for a public movement to clean the Yamuna river. (You must introduce yourself, describe how the people are to be blamed for polluting the river and suggest the need for installing a water treatment plant to clean the river).
33, Jal Vihar
Wazirabad, New Delhi – 33
Dated: 17 July 2017
Subject: Need for people’s movement for a clean Yamuna
I am Radha G, member of NGO AWAAZ. I am writing to you in order to highlight the deteriorating condition of river Yamuna.
The city of Delhi is getting contaminated water from river Yamuna. The residents are to be blamed for this. They pollute the river with garbage, sewage and filth. The river water is full of bacteria, plastic, chemicals and other waste materials. It is unfit for consumption.
The people have been demanding a Water Treatment plant. The authorities have not yet responded to the repeated requests.
I request you to highlight the problem in your newspaper and arouse public interest. We all need to get together in order to get the plant set up in the area.
Qs 1. You are Amar / Sheela, a student of T.D Public School, Delhi. You are concerned about the water logging in your area during the rainy season. Write a letter to the editor of a newspaper highlighting the need to improve the condition of the road.
2. You are Ram/Rajani, living at 1, Rana Pratap Marg, New Delhi. Read the advertisement given below and apply for the job that suits you giving your bio-data separately. Sun University requires Lecturers in English and Demonstrators in Physics, Chemistry, and Botany for their new Campus at Panipat. Candidates with a minimum of 5 years of experience alone can apply. Excellent command of English is a must. Excellent package and compensation for experienced persons. Those interested may e-mail email@example.com or mail their response to Box no 123, ‘The Harbinger’, New Delhi.